Deliciously Sweet & Gluten Free!
One of my all time favorite cookies are these almond cookies Oma taught me years ago. You will love these German cookies, sometimes exploding out of their shapes on the cookie sheets. Beware, these are sweet!
The dough gets a bit sticky with the grinded almonds, powdered sugar and
meringue but great cookies to add to your celebration cookie platter.
I have even added these cookies on our Christmas cookies plates and as a great gluten free gift for your family and friends.
Enjoy these delicious traditional German cookies.
- Preparation Step: Ingredients List
- - 4 medium egg whites
- - 1/8 tsp salt
- - 2 1/8 tsp baking powder
- - 3 cups icing sugar
- - 2 cups slivered almonds
- - 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- - 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- - 1/2 lemon (squeezed lemon juice)
- - baking paper (parchment/wax paper)
Recipe Step #1: Making Meringue
- Combine egg whites, salt & baking powder into a mixing bowl
- Using hand mixer or standmixer on high, mix to a froth
- Gradually add 2 cups of the sifted icing sugar, 1/4 cup at a time
- Beat continuously until meringue is shiny, white & thick peaks form
- Remove 2/3 cup meringue, cover & set aside for icing the cookies
Recipe Step #2: Making The Cookie Dough
- Using a food processor finely grind the almonds
- Combine cinnamon, lemon, almonds & fold into meringue mixture
- Sift and knead 1/2 cup icing sugar into dough
- Dough should be manageable but a little 'sticky'
- Separate into 2 equal portions
- Place each portion between 2 sheets baking paper
Recipe Step #3: Making The Cookies
- Preheat oven to 140C (275F)
- Use rolling pin to roll out each dough portion to ½ cm thick
- Check to keep paper crease-free and peel away top paper
- Use traditional star cut-outs or other shapes and cut out cookies
- Dip cut-outs into powdered sugar every other cookie
- Place cookies 2-3cm apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Bake 1 sheet on middle rack (25-30min) until lightly colored edges
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 min then transfer to wire cooling racks
- Continue with the next cookie sheet
Recipe Step #4: 'Icing' The Cookies
- Stir lemon juice into meringue to a spreading consistency
- spread icing or dip & twist cookies topside into meringue icing
- Let icing dry and harden & transfer cookies to cookie containers
This is a sweet meringue based cookie that looks and tastes great. No
substitutes are needed to turn these almond cinnamon star cookies into
gluten free as they are a meringue based dough.
In our home these 'zimtstern' cinnamon cookies have turned into great
traditional Christmas cookies and a nice sweet and spiced almond cookie
recipe that satisfies every sweet tooth in the house. I have even used
cookies as a special anniversary cookie gift or a S.H.M.I.L.Y. statement
for my wife. Yes, it is true ladies & fellow men, in our house
this recipe is executed by the man of the house. Guys, give this one a
sticky try with your kids, you will have a blast--and all of you will
love the time spent together.
Enjoy these crispy outside & chewy inside iced almond cookies.
A few Sweet meringue cookies details
The Serving Totals: 30-40 cookies
The Preparing Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time Totals: 25-30 minutes per cookie sheet
Return from Almond Cookies to Celebrations
Return to Family-Life-Parenting