Oma's Vanilla Buttercream Icing With Pudding
Easy To Make & Use!
Oma's vanilla buttercream icing is not too sweet and it tastes better than any icing you have ever had without the sugar rush.
The time and patience invested on how to make buttercream icing from
scratch with pudding is well worth it. It tastes incredible. You will
savor every bite of cake you have with this creamy frosting. When you
can get this one to work well(follow the steps carefully and take note
of the room temperatures, that really is the key to making this icing)
it will work great for you every time. It is awesome--Thank you Oma.
From Oma's bakery, follow these steps and it will work on your first try.
Pudding Based Buttercream Icing: The Ingredients
- Ingredients List
- - 1 1/4 cup butter
- - 1 cup powdered icing sugar sifted
- - 4 cups milk
- - 1/2 ground vanilla spice stick(1 packet vanilla sugar)
- - 1 cup sugar
- - 1/3 cup(85-90g) cornstarch
- - 7 egg yolks
Recipe Step #1: Making Pudding From Scratch
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small mixing bowl
- Add cornstarch & 7 Tbsp of milk to the egg yolks & mix thoroughly
- Set aside 2 Tbsp of sugar
- Stir the rest of the sugar, vanilla and remaining milk in a pot
- Heat the milk mixture to a boil on the stove at medium heat
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the milk and bring to a boil for 2 min
- Remove from heat and place the pot on a cooling rack
- Sprinkle the 2 Tbsp sugar over the pudding, cool to room temp.
Recipe Step #2: Creaming The Butter
- Cream butter with a hand held mixer or a stand mixer
- fully cream the butter and set aside
Recipe Step #3: Combining Butter & Pudding
- Once at room temperature add 1 Tbsp pudding at a time to butter
- Mix thoroughly at low speed after each pudding addition until done
- Add powdered sugar 1 Tbsp at a time to pudding-butter mixture
- Taste test the buttercream until the desired sweetness is reached
- Color portions of the mixture as needed, and chill for 1 hour
- Remove from the fridge and pipe or spread to decorate cakes
- Chill decorated cakes to harden the buttercream icing
This vanilla buttercream icing is the best we have ever tasted. You will love
the smooth taste of this creamy icing great for cakes, cookies,
cupcakes and muffins. We love using it as a 'cookie dip' once the cakes
have been finished.
Combining the pudding and the creamed butter requires some patience but
it is sure worth it. I have found that paste colors do not work as well
with this frosting as using regular food coloring. I will experiment a
bit more with some other cake coloring products and report back here
for you on the results I find. A really great vanilla buttercream icing
that our kids (even Mom and Dad) love to use and make a buttercream
filled cookie sandwich.
Try it out. Remember pulling apart 'oreo cookies'? Mmmmmmmm...
Enjoy this one, your whole family will love this wonderful icing alternative.
Return from Vanilla Buttercream Icing to Celebrations
Return to Family-Life-Parenting