Active Birth Option
Stand, Sit, Squat, or Kneel
Active birth can feel like a very natural way to deliver your baby. You
have a lot of freedom to move around and be as comfortable as possible
during some of the discomfort of labor, contractions and delivery.
You do not have to lie down to give birth. You can give birth standing,
sitting, squatting or in any position you feel most comfortable in.
- You do not have to lie down in bed or birthing bed for delivery
- Move around freely, take any position of comfort to give birth
- Gravity can help with the birth and push the baby out
- Sit, stand, squat, kneel or go down on hand & knees(all fours)
- Using different positions opens the birthing canal
- With different positions the cervix can be opened more easily
- A birthing stool can help get the birthing canal vertical
- Pain can be reduced and the contractions can be more effective
Experiment with different positions during your 2nd and 3rd trimester of your pregnancy and see what feels most comfortable and relieves a lot of pregnancy discomfort. Check whether the hospital, clinic or birth center supports this more active approach to giving birth for your delivery.
I have not had personal experience in having one of my children through active birth, but i would really love to hear from you if you have had some experiences or know of other mums that had their babies using this method. What positions worked best for you, what should other mums and mums-to-be be mindful of when they are planning and preparing for an active birth. Just go to our contact us form and send me a brief description of what you experienced and I would love to post it up here for the benefit of our readers. Just a little bit of 'insider' information will help a soon to be mom, for sure.
I wish you all the best for the new addition to your family, and if you have already got a few kids...Have fun, and keep smiling.
Return from Active Birth to Pregnancy Plus
Return to Family-Life-Parenting