Fun & Easy Gingerbread Cookies
Bake Together Anytime Of Year
Fun and Easy gingerbread cookies can be made any time of the year
If you have a child that loves Christmas and the whole Christmas season
like we have this is a great gingerbread recipe. Choose summer or fall
cut outs of leaves, trees and animals. We added different colors to a
cream cheese icing(we have included the icing for you) and seasonal
decorations to these gingerbread cookies. Our daughter was so excited
making these cookies together with her Dad as a one on one date time. A
great bonding time and some good practice in preparation for making
Christmas cookies when Christmas time comes.
Use your stand-mixer or hand-mixer(the hand-mixer will take longer).
Make a double batch and freeze one batch in an airtight freezer safe
container for up to 3 months. Add parchment paper in between each layer
Follow the 3 easy steps to making these gingerbread cookies and the
quick step to making a wonderful cream cheese icing you will love to use for cookies and cakes.
Enjoy your time together making, baking and decorating these tasty cookies.
Recipe Step #1: The 'Dry' Ingredients
- 'Dry' Ingredients List
- - 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- - 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- - 1 tsp baking soda
- - 2 pinches salt
- - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- - 1 tsp ground ginger(Ingwer)
- - 1/4 tsp ground cloves(Nelke)
Combine all 'dry' ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set it aside. Preheat the oven to 175 C(350 F)
Recipe Step #2: The 'Wet' Ingredients
- 'Wet' Ingredients List
- - 1/4 cup butter
- - 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- - 1/2 cup molasses(Zucker Reuben)
- - 1/3 cup water
- Combining the 'wet' ingredients
- With your mixer cream the butter in a large mixing bowl
- Add the sugar and cream it well
- Stir with a plastic spatula(granular texture means keep 'creaming')
- Add molasses and water, beat until smoothly blended
Take extra time if you need it for creaming--it is well worth it.
Recipe Step #3: Combining Mixtures
- Combining all ingredients
- Mix the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 additions
- Mix thoroughly after each addition
- Roll dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface
- Use cut out shapes on dough when rolled out 1/2 - 1cm thick
- Space a few cm(1-2 inches) between cookies
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until firm and edges are slightly browned
- Leave cookies on cookie sheets for a few minutes
- Transfer the cookies to wire cooling racks
- Cool cookie sheets before next use
- Enjoy a warm cookie while you wait
Baking times depend on the thickness of the rolled out gingerbread cookie dough. 1/2 cm thickness will bake slightly faster than 1 cm thickness.
Cream Cheese Icing: The Ingredients
- Ingredients List
- - 1/4 cup butter
- - 1 cup white vegetable shortening
- - 3-4 cups sifted icing sugar
- - 1 1/2 - 2 packages(200g) cream cheese
- Creaming Ingredients Together
- With your mixer cream the shortening in a large mixing bowl
- Add 1 heaping spoonful icing sugar at a time
- Cream well after each addition
- Take Cream cheese out of fridge and add 1/4 at a time
- Blend to incorporate after each addition
- Color desired portion of icing with liquid or paste icing colors
- Chill the cream cheese icing
Take extra time if needed for creaming--it is well worth it.
Creaming after each icing sugar addition is important. Ensure that it is not clumpy but creamed throughout.
Your family will love this icing, it is really a great light tasting creamy frosting.
We go so far as to call it a 'sugar-kick free' frosting, and it's lots of fun for dipping cookies.
A few details for making these Gingerbread Cookies
The Serving Totals: 30-40 cookies
The Preparing Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time Totals: 8-10 minutes per cookie sheet
Calories per cookie: 100-130 calories
Cream Cheese Icing: 15 minutes
Decorating Cookies: Together time as needed
Return from Gingerbread Cookies to Celebrations
Return from Gingerbread Cookies to Family-Life-Parenting